Beauty In Lagos

First for all things Beauty, in Lagos!

ad

Tuesday 5 February 2013

ORLY 'Calcium Shield'

Hey Lovelies!

This is just a post about what I use to keep my nails strong. Since my first Manicure Monday post I have received a few questions asking what I do to maintain them.

So I'm really sorry to say this and I know I'm going to sound like one of those annoying people that go "I really don't do much to my nails, they just grow like that'... BUT I realllllly don't do ANYTHING special to my nails to make them grow this way. My Mum's got the most exquisite nails I have ever seen, manicurists LOVE her! So I guess I got her good nails :)

BUT! I did find something that helps strengthen the nails...

I have damaged my nail-bed twice in the past couple of years (I know I must've damaged them a million times before then, but never as bad as these situations). The first was from wrapping them and the second was from Shellac. Now the Shellac was somewhat my fault, I was getting them far too often and then most times I would just peel them off, rather than go in to the salon to get the polish dissolved.

This is why I always advice taking like a 2-3week break between each Shellac manicure, just to give your nails some time to 'breathe'. You can get a regular change of polish manicure in between your Shellac breaks. 

The first damage from wrapping, I didn't do anything at all to heal it, I just stopped wrapping them. But this time around with the Shellac I went out and got myself something to use. 

Orly 'Calcium Shield' - Nail Builder with Calcium


This is what I got. I wanted something that I could use and STILL rock some color on my nails. So I went in to the store looking for something that had calcium in it to heal my brittle nails and at the same time work as a Basecoat for my polish




I apply one coat when  I use it as a Basecoat and 2 coats when I don't plan on wearing any nail polish over it.



I gotta say I did expect instant results, but that didn't happen. I started to notice a difference like 4-5weeks in, but from 7-8weeks my nails were back to normal. Bear in mind I change my nail polish like twice a week, so I had a fresh coat of the Calcium Sheild each time.




Even now that my nails are back to normal, I still use this as a base coat just to keep my nails in tiptop shape. Prevention is better than cure... I can tell you that much!

Hope this answers your questions ladies. There are numerous other brands that offer nail strengthening products, but as you know I will only recommend what has worked for me. If you have some other products/tips that's worked for you please share in the comments section :)

Details:

Price: N2,000
Store: Prince Ebeano Supermarket
           Plot 1B, Block A9, Obafemi Anibaba Street, Off Admiralty Way
           (the right turn after you go past Tantalizers on Admiralty Way)
           Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.

What Nail-Strenghtening products do you use?

Laters,

Ez xxX

THE BiL ANNIVERSARY GIVEAWAY ENDS TOMORROW!!: HERE! 
Share:

11 comments

  1. Aiite Ez,thank u for dis!
    Bless!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Sally Hansen Hard as Nails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the right info when I really needed it, thanks. I'm taking supplements Solgar msm advanced formula for skin, hair and nails. I actually got it for my hair but am hoping to see good results for my nails too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh,thank youu.. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't use any cos I have lovely nails. My nails are long and strong, do I still need any nail strenghtening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to! I always say "Don't fix it if it aint broke'. Since your nails are in good condition just keep doing what youre currently doing, even if its nothing xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing ! You've inspired me to do a nail segment on my blog! Tc

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! :)

© Beauty In Lagos | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig